Gamma Knife and Cyber Knife Center
Gamma Knife for treating brain tumors
Brain tumor center without surgical intervention is treated with Gamma Knife ray technology
Brain Tumor Radiology Center, Gamma Knife – Gamma Knife Icon
What is Gamma Knife (Gamma Knife)?
Gamma Knife (Gamma Knife): It is one of the latest devices in terms of global technology in the Department of Nuclear Medicine Sciences, as it is given to patients with brain tumors in a very high doses of radiation (laser beam).
Gamma Knife Number 201 contains very high energy from the source, Co-60, as it reaches the atoms of brain cells, especially to the farthest distance in the cells affected by tumors, while the radiological rays do not reach the affected tumor cells areas and protect the healthy cells of the brain.
Gamma Knife radiation does not affect healthy brain cells because gamma Knife radiation is very small and does not damage healthy cells and when it reaches the tumor-infected cells in the brain, at the point of the tumor cells where all directions of the gamma ray are collected at the point of the tumor, so the radiation is very, very intense , it is possible To affect even a weak percentage on healthy cells only at the target radiation point.
In Gamma Knife treatment, patients are directed a very thin beam of rays into the affected area of the brain’s skull.
Thanks to the Gamma Knife feature, it is natural to focus on the direction of radiation only in the area affected by the tumor and neglect the rest of the brain regions. For this reason, the exposure of other areas to radiation is very low.
The Gamma Knife Objective Knife has a sensitivity of less than 0.5 mm.
Annually, about 40,000 patients are treated with Gamma Knife, which is a simple and painless treatment.
Gamma Knife – Gamma Knife: Patient treatment is applied in all high-quality international hospitals. As a hospital, we treat patients through our experienced doctors and medical team, where we obtained very high results.
Advantages of using Gamma Knife in treating brain tumors:
- Gamma Knife is a very effective method in treating tumors that have spread in the brain, as well as in brain tumors that doctors cannot surgically interfere with the affected site, and it is also used in brain tumor disorders.
- Gamma Knife is a technique that targets the affected area, which is affected by the sensitivity of gamma rays in the brain. Also, the treatment is done without surgical intervention and there is no risk of brain bleeding, infection resulting after the operation, anesthesia problems and others.
- After taking Gamma Knife, there is no need to stay in the hospital, and for this reason there are no problems after treatment.
- Gamma Knife is a treatment that is especially recommended for patients with high side effects, as well as anesthesia problem. Gamma Knife treatment provides great benefit in many patients.
- Gamma Knife is a treatment that is completed in one day and patients are discharged on the same day. Unlike open surgery, these patients do not require hospitalization and do not need intensive care and for this reason, patients and their relatives give high-quality rest.
- The patient is fixed in a special model or in a special frame in the Gamma Knife device, which provides it with high sensitivity for the treatment, in addition to protecting the normal brain tissue from other radiotherapy techniques
Areas of use in Gamma Knife processing (Gamma Knife)
Gamma Knife is used in
- Treatment of brain tumors “malformations of vessels or cells in the brain”
- In the treatment of thrombosis or cavernous tissue “arteriovenous malformation”
- Other vascular anomalies (cavernous tumor, aortic hemangioma, glomerular tumor)
It is scientifically proven as an alternative to surgery in facial pain syndromes such as trigeminal neuralgia, and Parkinson’s patients, now it’s widely used in appropriate patients.
Gamma Knife can also be used in the treatment of many brain diseases. Studies have been conducted on the effectiveness of the Gamma Knife in some mental disorders such as epilepsy patients and others, and the results were very positive.
Gamma Knife Treatment Benefits
- Simple treatment, where the patient does not feel pain
- In Gamma Knife treatment for some brain tumors, the patient does not need to undergo open surgery
- Complications or side effects of Gamma Knife treatment are few or very weak
- Treatment does not require general anesthesia
- Patients do not need to cut their hair during Gamma Knife treatment
- Gamma Knife treatment ends only in one session or in the breath today, and no more than one session is conducted for the patient
- High accuracy by using international technology to target cancer cells with very high power to give out radioactive materials
- The costs of Gamma Knife treatment are lower than brain surgery
- If the patient needs treatment, the Gamma Knife session may be repeated
- The risk of Gamma Knife is very low when compared to brain tumor surgeries
- If a patient with brain tumors is not suitable or doctors have not recommended that they undergo surgery for brain tumors, it is necessary to treat them with Gamma Knife – Gamma Knife.
There are also devices in nuclear medicine such as the Cyber Knife that allow stereotactic radiosurgery in brain tumors, treating patients with Gamma Knife in order to protect healthy cells in the brain. This is why Gamma Knife is chosen in treatment and research, we can say that the Gamma Knife is safer from Other methods of stereotactic radiosurgery.
What are the diseases in which Gamma Knife treatment is applied (Gamma Knife)?
- Gamma Knife treatment is applied to tumors that have metastasized in the brain
In patients with brain tumors, especially if the tumor is widespread, and there is a difficulty in performing a brain surgery. That is why the best global treatment method is Gamma Knife treatment, and it is necessary for the patient to undergo this treatment.
It is possible to continue treatment of patients, such as taking chemotherapy or other treatments at the same time, when treating brain tumors in another way, and it does not cause delay in comprehensive treatment of cancer, from this treatment the patients’ situation will be stabilized.
Results such as memory disorders and dementia are very common in all brain tumors and the patient’s quality of life is seriously deteriorating, with Gamma Knife treatment this risk decreases, in addition to Gamma Knife being used with success in treating multiple brain tumors.
Gamma Knife is known to protect brain tissue better than other radiotherapy methods.
- Gamma Knife treatment is applied to primary brain tumors
Primary brain tumors, where there are many types of primary tumor cells, such as primary tumors that are called gliomas such as glioblastomas, astrocytoma’s, oligodendrogliomas, glial cell tumors, where treatment is done with