Interventional Radiology Centre
Interventional Radiology Centre
Interventional therapy is a special field of application in radiotherapy with imaging and therapy. In general, it is applied (outside) by radiologists in special interventional radiology units. An x-ray machine, ultrasound, tomography or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) are used as a guide during the procedure in order to give the therapy.
In addition to the therapeutic procedures in the field of interventional radiology, diagnostic tests are performed. Specialized materials such as biopsy needles, catheters (special plastic tubes), and wires are used as evidence in these therapeutic and diagnostic procedures.
During the operation, local anesthesia is applied to the patients, and the patient’s comfort is important during the operation, as patients are rarely followed up for a day or two in the hospital. The duration of the post-therapy period and the return to patients’ social life is shorter than surgery. The post- therapy pain level, the length of hospital stay and the risk of complications are very low compared to open surgery.
What is the cause of interventional therapies?
- Interventional therapies can be performed in cases where surgery is not possible.
- The results of interventional therapies are similar to the surgical therapy methods and others.
- It does not usually require general anesthesia and others.
- The risk rates and complications are very low.
- Short hospital stay and the excellent care facilities.
It is generally preferred to have a lower cost than surgical procedures.
Interventional radiology is a relatively recent field of medical specialization and includes minimal surgeries without the need for open surgery and the operating room.
Turkey Healthcare Group Center offers interventional radiotherapy and angiography, tomography, ultrasound, and magnetic resonance imaging techniques, such as small needles (percutaneous) or special intravenous needles, wires and catheters (long, flexible thin tubes) etc. We provide both diagnostic and therapy services.
In the interventional radiotherapy services we plan quality control issues such as procedures, patient preparation, equipment and staff by looking at international evidence and it targets the ideal result (100 percent success, 0 percent complications) in all of our interventional procedures; We adhere to the criteria for success and complications stipulated in the international guidelines.
Before each procedure, our patients are evaluated by our interventional radiologist and if necessary, some imaging and laboratory tests are performed.
Special therapies that require skills, knowledge and experience in our department are accredited and have international diplomas.
Diseases are treated in the interventional radiology center as follows:
- Interventional oncology.
- Diagnosis and therapy of vascular diseases.
- Diagnosis and therapy of bleeding.
- Urinary obstruction
- Non-surgical therapy of uterine fibroids.
- Uterine fibroid embolization.
- uterine fibroids ablation.
- Treating fibroids by HIFU.
- Osteoporosis – collapse of the spine without surgery
- Non-surgical therapy of prostatic hyperplasia.
- A bile duct obstruction
- Diagnosis and non-surgical therapy of thyroid nodules.
- Non-surgical therapy of obesity.
- drainage abscess – cyst aspiration.
- Atherosclerosis or obstruction therapy.
- Interventional radiology for cancer patients.
- Diabetic foot wounds (wounds on the feet of diabetic patients).
- Thoracic and abdominal aortic aneurysms
- Treatment of Bleeding and embolization.
- Treatment of Cerebrovascular diseases.
- Aortic aneurysm (Abdominal aortic aneurysm).
- Treatment of carotid stenosis.
- Laser capillary therapy.
- Vascular malformation
- Vein obstruction (deep vein thrombosis)
- Varicose veins and modern treatment methods.
- Varicose capillaries
- Venous obstruction of the leg.
- Deep vein thrombosis therapy (vein occlusion).
- Treatment of fistula, obstruction for patients with dialysis.
- Drainage biopsies and removal of bleeding fluid from the affected area.
- Cyst therapy (including a hydatid cyst with a parasite cyst).
- Vertebral fractures therapy (vertebroplasty).
Diagnosis and treatment of vascular disease
- Diseases that cause vascular occlusion, such as atherosclerosis and vasculitis, are diagnosed by angiography and can be treated with balloon angioplasty.
- Vascular tumors& arteriovenous malformations (AVMs) can be treated with Targeted vascular embolization.
- Brain aneurysm (aneurysm), peripheral aneurysms, visceral artery aneurysm, aortic aneurysms, embolization or special stents (endovascular graft, stent covering etc.).
- Laser therapy of varicose veins without surgery.
- Carotid, vertebrate, cerebral and spine angiography.
- Imaging the arm (upper limb).
- Lung, vascular, renal bronchus (angiography)
- Mesenteric angiography.
- Hepatic angiography.
- Thoracic aorta, abdominal aortic angiography.
- Aortic aneurysm (non-surgical graft therapy).
- Aneurysm of the peripheral and visceral arteries.
- Non-surgical therapy of brain aneurysm.
- liver hemangioma.
- Venous malformation.
- Arteriovenous malformation (AVM).
- Artery disease, angioplasty therapy.
- Carotid artery occlusion, treatment with stents, and carotid stenting.
- Treating blocked leg vessels (atherosclerosis, Buerger disease, diabetic foot)
- Mesenteric ischemia, mesenteric thrombosis.
- Renal artery stenosis, stent of the renal artery.
- Laser treatment of varicose veins.
- Deep vein thrombosis.
- Pulmonary embolization.
- Vena cava filter.
- A peripherally inserted central catheter (PICC)
- A central venous catheter
- Non-surgical therapy of varicocele.
- Foreign body removal.
- Renal vein blood sampling – Renal venous sampling.
- Adrenal Vein Blood Sampling – Adrenal venous sampling.
- Thyroid venous blood sampling – Thyroid venous sampling.
- TIPS – Transjugular Intrahepatic Portosystemic Shunts.
- Dialysis fistula therapy.
- Venous stenosis – obstruction of stents.
Diagnosis and therapy of bleeding
An important therapy for interventional radiology is intravenous embolization of life-threatening bleeding.
- Emergency therapy of gastrointestinal tract, lung, vaginal bleeding, brain and internal organs, painful bleeding and postoperatively is lifesaving.
- Gastrointestinal bleeding, embolization
- Lung hemorrhage, hemoptysis, and embolization.
- Shock hemorrhage, embolization
- Postoperative bleeding.
- Bladder prostate bleeding.
- Vaginal bleeding.
- Brain hemorrhage, brain aneurysm, brain AVM, subarachnoid hemorrhage
- Bleeding of organs such as the liver, kidneys and spleen.
In cancer treatment, “leukemogenic cancer therapy” (cancer targeted therapy) is becoming more prominent.
Interventional tumors have an important place in the modern oncology approach.
Tumor ablation with targeted chemistry and irradiation increases our chances of destroying cancerous tissue.
Interventional oncology is at the heart of new technological therapy methods to achieve cancerous tissue and targeted therapy.
- Liver cancer
- Liver metastases (cancer has spread to the breast, colon, pancreas, stomach, lung, neuroendocrine glands, etc.)
- Kidney cancer
- Pancreatic cancer.
- Lung cancer.
- Bone cancer and bone metastases.
- Microwave ablation.
- HIFU ablation
- Radiation collection, microsphere therapy in the aforementioned way.
- A pancreatic biopsy.
- A liver biopsy.
- A renal biopsy.
- A lung biopsy.
- A thyroid biopsy.
- A bone marrow biopsy.
- A spine biopsy.
- A lymph node biopsy.
- A breast biopsy
Treatment of urinary tract obstruction:
Urinary obstruction problems are diagnosed by ultrasound or tomography and other tests, and with some patients, if a nephrectomy is required, we will perform endoscopy in the urinary tract which is very important to protect the health of the kidneys, especially for children, so following the treatment up is necessary.
- Nephrostomy (external kidney drainage tube).
- Installing stents in the urethra.
- Pediatric nephrectomy.
Non-surgical treatment of thoracic vertebral osteoarthritis
Bone cement is injected into the vertebrae in which there is a fall of the vertebrae or fragility. It is treated under a computer tomography or x-ray device.
The spine is strengthened and prevented, and some of the following treatments:
- Treatment of correction or modification of vertebrae, deviation of the thoracic vertebrae
- Operations to treat the vertebrae of the spine.
Cholelithiasis due to cancer, post-operative complications, or stones lead to disrupt liver function and damage the brain and kidneys.
High bile in the blood causes chemotherapy disorder. The bile is removed by a thin plastic catheter placed in the bile ducts and the level of blood bile decreases and this is called percutaneous biliary drainage.
Some treatments in the bile ducts and gallbladder through balloon or stents are as follows:
- Biliary drainage (percutaneous biliary drainage)
- Biliary stents (percutaneous biliary stents)
- Dilatation of the balloon in the bile duct (percutaneous bile balloon dilatation)
- HIFU bile duct ablation.
Drainage abscess (cyst removal)
In the treatment of abscesses, renal cysts, and hydatid cysts of the liver) in the abdominal and lung membrane (empyema), it may be treatable using drip irrigation or catheter drainage.
- Abdominal abscess drainage.
- Pelvic abscess drainage.
- lung abscess drainage.
- Pleural effusion drainage – aspiration.
- Ascites / drainage aspiration ascites.
- Kidney aspiration and sclerosis.
- Cystic aspiration of the liver and sclerotherapy
- Hydatid cyst, a parasitic liver cyst
Non-surgical therapy for obese patients
For patients who suffer from some degree of obesity, embolization of the intestinal basilar artery (bariatric embolization) instead of surgery, reduces the secretion of the “appetite” hormone and the patient loses weight.
The main advantage of this therapy is that the complication rates are very low compared to gastric surgery.
- Bariatric embolization.
- left gastric artery ischemia.
- Gastric artery embolization.
Special needles are evaluated by ultrasound imaging or tomography and others, in the laboratory to diagnose tissue samples taken from different organs.
These procedures are usually performed with daily hospitalization and local anesthesia.
Tumor treatment map
Tumor markers are made with materials such as metal wire for diagnostic purposes (for surgical removal of tissue) or for therapeutic purposes (before Cyber Knife) this method is basically similar to the biopsy procedure.
Procedures for removing fluid through catheterization
Special needles directed through the ultrasound can be placed. The fluids that are collected in the body, urine, bile, and abscess are withdrawn and the cyst is drained (drainage), followed by the catheter if necessary. It can be placed in this area, and sometimes to prevent fluid buildup in the area, it can be brought back again.
The intravenous catheter can be used in situations where adequate vascular access is not available or access to blood vessels is required. For example, by ultrasound or x-ray imaging, a catheter can be placed from a vein such as the neck / arm into the main vein system with the needles and wires for chemotherapy and dialysis. Rarely, catheters are inserted into the arteries for similar purposes.
Interventional radiologists are able to treat cardiovascular diseases and all other organs in the body by means of angiography similar to stent and coronary arterial hypertrophy in the heart. The goal here may not only be to open the vessel, but sometimes the goal may be to close the vessel that causes bleeding or disrupt blood circulation.
Treatment of vasoconstriction and obstruction.
Clots caused by various causes in the arteries or veins, may cause narrowing and obstruction of the organs and types of blood vessels. For example, an obstruction in a leg artery can cause high blood pressure and impair kidney function for diabetic patients.
After diagnostic angiography, angioplasty (balloon aneurysm) and / or stenting (artificial vein) may be performed for narrowed vessels (as occurs in cardiac vessels).
If there is a clot in the arteries or veins causing sudden obstruction, the clot can be destroyed by blood thinners devices or mechanically. A filter may be inserted intravenously (similar to an umbrella) as a clot in the venous veins clogs the lungs and can have severe consequences.
Embolization (obstruction) therapies can be performed for acute or chronic hemorrhagic vessels due to trauma of various organs, tumors, aneurysms, peptic ulcer, and so on.
Sometimes a method, which can save life, uses particulate matter, metal arms or sticky or clogged liquid materials for this purpose.
Abnormal congenital vascular structures and varicose therapy
Congenital or developmental arteries, veins or lymph vessels with abnormal development of different parts of the body organs or abnormalities of blood vessels and skin can cause not only a loss of function – an important cosmetic function, and bleeding.
These diseases are successfully treated with sclerotherapy, liquid agents, intravenous laser, and so on of interventional radiology.
Interventional radiologists work with oncologists to identify, diagnose, treat and resolve complications of cancer patients and ultimately improve the patient’s quality of life.
Rapid interventional radiotherapy, especially for liver tumors, may be offered to the patient not only as a last choice but also as a first- or second-line therapy.
Special needles are evaluated by ultrasound or tomography, in addition to radiofrequency ablation (RFA), microwave ablation therapies, cryoablation or by injecting chemicals such as alcohol therapy.
This method is used especially in the liver effectively and safely, as well as in the treatment of lung, kidney, bone myoma, etc.
Ultrasound frequency therapy to administer chemotherapy by heating
Chemical decomposition is the method of angiography and is used in primary liver tumors, liver cancer and metastatic tumors, after entering the liver vein using thin catheters, the microspheres loaded with chemotherapy (Irinotecan, Doxorubicin, etc.) are injected into the tumor bed, thus increasing the time of contact with the tumor and the chemotherapy agent, which increases the effectiveness of the therapy and reduces the potential side effects of chemotherapy on the healthy tissues of the patient. In addition, the microspheres impede the vascular nutrition of the tumor tissues.
Ultrasound frequency therapy to administer radiotherapy
Radiotherapy removal is also an angiographic method used in primary tumors (liver cancer and metastatic tumors). After entering the liver vein using a thin catheter, a radioisotope-loaded microsphere is injected into the tumor bed. This microscope emits beta rays that can travel an average of 2.5 mm in the tissues, and maintain these effects for several weeks.
Thus, the DNA structure of the tumor cell is disrupted due to the effect of radiation and death which occurs in the tumor cell. This method can be used if a tumor is blocked in the hepatic portal vein. The advantage of chemical decomposition is that it is easier for the patient to tolerate it, the effect can be achieved in fewer sessions and it can affect large lesions.
Despite these advantages, it is a two-stage, multidisciplinary and complex therapy that can only be performed in accredited private centers.
Neurotherapies include interventions for the brain, spinal cord, and other nervous system diseases. These diseases can cause serious, life-threatening complications as well as signs of function loss, paralysis, etc. Among the diseases that can be treated with interventional radiology are brain hemorrhage and paralysis (stroke) caused by aneurysms.
The narrowing and obstruction of the carotid vessels which is called the carotid artery, leading to the brain, may cause temporary and permanent paralysis.
Surgical or stenting may be performed for carotid vasoconstriction, but stenting is a step forward especially for heart problems patients.
Aneurysms (bullae) in the cerebral vessels risk bursting according to factors such as position, size, gender of the patient and smoking. A hemorrhagic aneurysm is one of the most lethal and dramatic conditions in medicine, unfortunately a third of patients die before they reach the hospital. If possible, high-risk aneurysms should be identified and treated beforehand. Intravenous therapies (metal coils, etc.) for these blood vessels are more effective and less risky than open surgery.
The cerebral vessel paralysis is treated radiologically within the first 6 hours.
It is mainly based on removing the clot in the vein in the brain by the angiography method. It has proven effective in recent years and paralysis and loss of function are significantly preventable compared to other medicines.
Interventional radiology, angiography, tomography ultrasound and tomography methods, such as using the guide, is the department that makes surgical treatment without surgery. Interventional radiology does not deal with a single subject or an organ system, such as eye diseases or heart disease.
The surgical therapy of many organ systems is performed without surgery.
The field of interventional radiology covers all vascular therapies (occlusion, enlargement, hemorrhage, etc.) performed with angiography except for the cardiac vessels.
Performs needle biopsies, fluid and cyst therapies in the body. It treats some types of cancer (especially the liver cancer). Varicose veins therapy. As it turns out, vascular diseases are the leading diseases but they treat many different diseases. The common point of all procedures is that therapies are inserted through the hole and there is no need for surgery. High-tech devices are often used to treat patients.
Characteristics of interventional radiology procedures:
The most important feature of interventional radiology therapies is that they manufacture some preoperative therapies without surgery. Therapies are not performed in the operating room; either in the angiography room or in the physiotherapy rooms. Interventional treatments do not usually require general anesthesia.
- Made only through a hole, there are no scalpel marks on the body.
- Patients are usually sent home the same day.
- Operations are easier and complications risks are lower.
- Return to normalcy is much shorter.
In the interventional radiology center of our Turkey Healthcare Group Center, each patient is given medication for relaxation and pain (anesthesia and analgesics) if needed. Regardless how easy the procedures are, pain can be felt due to the need to penetrate the needle and this pain should be resolved in simple ways.
We may also have patients who are anxious and feel excitement and fearful due to the procedures. These medications also relieve fear and anxiety associated with this procedure.
After all the procedures, the patient can be sent home the same day. It requires a short hospitalization.
It needs bed rest and monitoring for 4-6 hours, the timing of other procedures is more volatile. For example, varicose veins patients can be sent home straight away.
In the applied processes, these materials are specially designed and manufactured for each process and purpose, using mostly high-tech devices.
With these painless and less dangerous methods, patients’ quality of life increases, hospitalization is shortened, and patients leave hospital on the day of the operation or usually after one day.
In the interventional radiology. Biopsies can be taken from many organs such as the liver, breast, lymph nodes, prostate, and cysts, and obstruction of the bile ducts and urinary tract can be treated, and hemodialysis catheters can be inserted, especially since liver tumors can be treated with needles and special drugs.
Ulcers that cause brain hemorrhage or vascular disease that cause stroke are treated without cranial intervention.
Turkey Healthcare Group offers you all the treatments in the interventional radiology and imaging center, which provides services in the best international hospitals in Turkey.
For inquiries and medical advice about your treatment, “You just have to send all the medical information, tests, analyzes and written information about the condition of the disease, etc. by via social media, whats app and viber or you can directly contact our consultants via the numbers on the site.
After taking all the information required, we will assess the condition of the disease within only 24 hours of receiving your information and will provide you with all information about the treatment plan, details of treatment, treatment costs, duration of stay in Turkey and other services in our center.